Effective Technical Writing is Critical for Your Business
Today’s technology-focused organizations are finding themselves in a bit of a challenge in their ability to showcase their solution.
Traditionally, when an organization wishes to build a web presence, they will enlist a digital marketing agency. This initiative will consist of producing a variety of digital marketing assets such as:
- Content writing services (blogs, articles)
- White papers
- eBooks/user manuals
- Website content services
- Instruction manuals
- Training materials
However, the challenge can quickly arise when that agency, who the client has trusted in effectively positioning their technical solution misses the mark, simply because they don’t possess the foundational technical background to understand that solution or understand the technology landscape in which that technical solution interacts. Unfortunately, if these content writers don’t have a technical background in the subject they are writing on, it’s going to be very challenging for them to produce quality content that adequately captures the technical information and technical uniqueness of the given solution. That’s something we’re looking to change! But, let’s dig into the article to better understand why.
In the following article, we will discuss some of the challenges associated with working with a writing service or agency that doesn’t properly staff a team of technical writers, some things to look for in a tech writing agency, and some tips on properly positioning your tech-oriented solution.
Finding Effective Technical Writing Services
When embarking on a content marketing initiative your first priority should be to showcase high-quality content that is engaging and founded in its technical accuracy. From promoting case studies to web content, any and all of your technical communication should come from a copywriter that is a subject matter expert in your field. So, how does an organization go about finding an agency that can meet their technical writing needs and get your unique technical messaging in front of your target audience?
- Understand their process – When working with a new agency or content writing organization, ask about who will be writing the content. Here, you’ll be able to quickly understand if your content development, including copywriting, technical content, technical documentation, and other marketing materials are going to be managed by someone with a formal technical background.
- Ask about outsourcing – Unfortunately, outsourcing is a big problem in the content writing space. Often, agencies will outsource writing services to freelancers to free up time for their team members while maintaining a low overhead, cost-effective model. The challenge here is that it’s often the messaging suffers. Understandably, this is a serious problem since often an online customer’s first interaction with your solution or brand is going to be through that online web communication.
- Ask about previous work – One of the easiest ways to assess whether or not an agency is a good fit is to look at a portfolio of previous work. From testimonials to previous copywriting, assessing previous work will always be a tried and true way to assess if this particular agency has what it takes to showcase your unique solution, and has the foundational understanding to correctly position your solution. This paired with assessing years of experience is a step in the right direction to understanding if this agency is the right fit.
The Benefits of Working with Formal Technical Writers
We’ve discussed this a bit, but we believe there are still some clear-cut benefits to uncover. So far, we’ve discussed the importance of an agency, or writing organization to possess a foundational understanding of the technology you are looking to showcase, however, it’s also critically important that they understand the technology landscape.
Take, for example, an organization breaking into a new technology space. If that agency doesn’t understand the technology landscape, the importance of unique aspects of that technology space, or parallel technologies, they are going to miss the mark on positioning this given solution to the right audience! This is truly a recipe for disaster.
Aside from gaining the expertise of a dedicated technology writer for creating technically accurate assets as we mentioned previously, these technology communicators are skilled in developing the following:
- Technical tutorials
- Technical user guides
- Technical FAQs
- Technical business writing
- Technical API documentation
Hopefully, this article gave you some sounds advice and actionable steps when considering your content strategy initiative. We believe that by leading with effective content, you’ll garner the correct messaging to get your unique solution in front of your target audience. And most importantly, when you do, your target audience will understand your unique solution leading to higher engagement, and a more effective marketing ROI.
About Press Technical Writing
Here’ at Press Technical Writing, we staff writers that not only possess a strong writing background but also possess a strong technical background as well. This is one of the founding principles here at Press Technical Writing that has allowed us to help deliver content for some of the largest technology companies in the world! We believe that by pairing you with a technical writer that truly understands your solution, we can effectively position your solution in front of your target audience, and ensure we are meeting the technical accuracy you deserve in an agency.